Saturday 3 January 2009

Days Thirty Two and Thirty Three - 27th & 28th December

It's the day that I have been dreading. The day when Glasgow comes to a standstill. The 27th of December brings the second Old Firm derby of the season.

If you haven't been in Glasgow on derby day then you won't understand the atmosphere that engulfs the city on this day. The whole week before the game is tense. Families and friends argue over what will happen and old scores are settled on the pitch.

Going out on the day of an Old Firm match is difficult due to the police presence and transport problems that accompany the atmosphere. The fact that glasgow Central Station is closed as well means that I can't even go shopping or anything like that. I decide that the only way I will be able to avoid this one is by hiding in a dark corner. I pace up and down in my room for the 3 hours or so that the match coverage runs. Running through all possible scenarios in my head as to what could happen. Am I missing a classic? No surely, it'll be a 0-0 or Rangers might even win. I literally recoil into the foetal position, and resign myself to having to take a nap. I cant sleep due to nervous tension.

No comments: