Tuesday 16 December 2008

Days Eighteen & Nineteen - 13th and 14th December

Following my Xmas night out, I awake on the Saturday morning not in the mood for football. In fact, I am not actually in the mood for anything. Maybe it's drinking I should be giving up for forty days? (I actually gave up drink for three months last year and it wasnt that difficult.) Football though is a different kettle of fish. If you want to avoid drink, you just don't go to pubs or off licences. But football is everywhere. My major challenge of the day is to resist the temptation to play the new Football Manager game that my brother has bought. Some of my greatest achievements in life have taken place in this game. I've taken Scotland to the World Cup semi finals, lead Celtic to their second European cup, even taken Grimsby into Europe. Countless hours of my life have been dedicated to this game. But the whole living without football thing has made me think more about FM. It is just a game. Indeed, football is just a game. Why has it become an obssession? Why can I not go a day without thinking thoughts like, 'I wonder who would win in a match between the '98 France team and Maradona's '86 Argentine team'? Why does this game give me mood swings that play a major role in my life?
I decide to stop thinking about this game, and instead turn my mind to a far more intellectual challenge - chess. After reading the rules of chess on wikipedia, I attempt to take on an electronic Russian master. Whatever I seem to doleads to failure. I spend four hours attempting to beat this computer, but don't get past his pawns. I feel like a sunday league striker facing Fabio Cannavaro. In the end, I just get frustrated that I can't flip the electronic chess board. I go to bed pissed off and still mooting whether or Diego or Zinedine would have came out on top.

No comments: