Tuesday 23 December 2008

Days Twenty Four & Twenty Five - 19th and 20th December

I remember saying when I first started this project that only the most desperate of situations would make me turn to rugby. But I awake on Saturday feeling more in need of football than ever before. I just feel the need to watch five minutes of Football Focus or Soccer Saturday. Desperate times call for desperate measures. My only option is to turn to football's dreaded egg shaped cousin.
Bath versus Sale is the chosen match for my first full on rugger experience. I have watched Six Nations matches in the past, but that is about the scale of my interest in rugby. Indeed, when my mum tried to buy me a Wales rugby top for my 5th birthday, she was told by the assistant 'that I would never be big enough to get a rugby shirt to fit me'. My name is Gareth Iwan Jones though and I am determined to prove them wrong by harking back to the oval traditions of the land of my father.
Within the first few minutes, Sale take the lead through a try from Luke McAllister. There are two yellow cards early doors and it is certainly a feisty affair. Bath fight back though, and go in 13-12 up at half time.
The second half isn't as exciting as the initial period and the only event is a second try by former England winger Mark Cueto. This disappoints me as I have backed Bath. But my boys fight back and a last second try gives us a 24-20 victory. I praise the name of Matt Banahan, and I am generally ecstatic with the victory. Rugby has given me the closest thing that you can get to the rush of someone from my team scoring a last minute goal.
In reflection, I conclude that the reason I enjoyed this match so much was that it reminded me of football. If I became a rugby fan, I'm sure that I would still be the same bitter frustrated person that I was before this experiment started. Rugby players are arguably more admirable than modern day footballers, but I'm sure that they would be able to piss me off in a different way. I am beginning to accept that I am stuck with football for life. Like an alcoholic, the only way I would be able to give up football is by staying away from anything that reminds me of it. I decide that rugby is not the new hobby for me.

No comments: