Sunday 14 December 2008

Days Twelve & Thirteen - 8th and 9th December

In this period I try to substitute watching football by watching something that is the complete opposite of the sport. After several hours of thinking, I come up with the ultimate anti-football programme- Sex and the City. Noone that watches Sex and the City like football! I decide that to achieve the maximum viewing pleasure, I am going to watch SatC exactly the same way as I would watch a match. With the average episode of the show lasting thirty minutes I plan I'll need to watch three of them to make up the time I'd spend watching footy.
The 'game' starts with a monologue from Carrie. Its not exactly a thrilling start, but I can draw similarities between it and the first ten minutes of an SPL game. 25 minutes in, Samantha is the first to score (away from home with a fireman). Carrie goes close with a politician but at half time the Sex and the City side are only 1-0 up. I try having a Martini and bagel at half time to supplement the regular pie and bovril. Overall the taste is good, but it would not warm you up at half time at a match at Firhill.
Early into the second half, Carrie finally puts away one of her chances against the politician and puts the girls two up. Samantha adds a quick third to the lead (this time with a short man). Ten minutes from time and the legal Samantha completes her hattrick, getting the better of a masseuse. Full time 4-0 and a resounding win for the SatC girls.
Overall, I have to admit the Sex and the City experience wasn't as bad as I first feared. This leaves me to question whether or not this experience has made me less masculine. I decide not to contemplate this issue and instead have another Martini.
For fun, I decide to compare SatC characters to footballers.

Carrie Bradshaw is David Beckham
A classy ball player who looks good on and off the pitch. Bradshaw is the leader of the Sex and the City side and can inspire her teammates with moments of inspiration. Not a consistent scorer, but comes through with spectacular goals rather than tap ins. Loves fashion labels and probably wears similar types of underwear to Becks!

Samantha Jones is Ruud van Nistelrooy
Not pretty but still scores every week. Samantha can score all sorts of goals, and is always focused on her next target. Not always popular with fans or teammates, but Samantha always delivers. Prolific and often willing to go to extents that others aren't in order to secure the win.

Charlotte York is Juan Roman Riquelme
Dainty Charlotte is by far the classiest member of the SatC side. Always concentrated on what she wants, Charlotte always make clear what she wants from her teammates. Has made wrong moves in the past, but likely to be remembered fondly by many.

Miranda Hobbes is Paul Scholes
A fiery ginger who often flies into the tackle. Miranda is quieter than some of her teammates, but has intelligence on her side. Never lets the side down. Age may be catching up with her but still a regular in the side.

No comments: